The 6-Step Creative Process
- Project Initiation To get the job started.
- Information Gathering To get all the materials and information needed to start the project.
- Presentation of Concepts To submit the first concept of the project to the client.
- RevisionsTo get the project to a satisfied state for the client.
- Production of Deliverables To get the approved project prepared for final delivery.
- Delivery To get the final project files to the production company, or the client.
1. Project Initiation
Objective: To get the job started.
- On nearly all branding projects, talking directly with our clients about the project is necessary to gauge the course of graphic direction.
2. Information Gathering
Objective: To get all the materials and information needed to start the project.
- Branding Questionnaire- For more intensive branding projects, Old Hat will walk you through a questionnaire. This will help the designer understand the overall graphic needs and define the parameters of the branding project.
Here are some important questions we’ll seek to answer in this step:
- What are the graphic applications for the new logo
- What is the timeline for deliverables?
- What is the priority/hierarchy of the deliverables needed (consider production time)?
- Who will be our primary contact throughout the process?
- Will focus groups come into play and when?
- Will Old Hat need to make a trip to campus to help us better understand campus life and culture?
- Will Old Hat assist in the rollout of the new logo and what will be needed for the rollout (video, web, apparel, etc.)?
- Are there existing style guides, old logos/marks or other historical elements that should be considered?
- Creative brief- this should cover the history, tradition, imagery, color logic for the current brand.
3. Presentation of Concepts
Objective: To submit the first concept of the project to the client.
- This step will generally be the presentation of our rough sketches based on the information received in the information gathering step.
- Old Hat will explain the logo concepts and show how the concepts address the needs established by the client.
- Inspiration boards including photos, imagery, font styles, current trends, historical aspects and other information may be used to show you our designer’s thought process when creating the sketches.
Objective: To get the project to a satisfied state for the client.
- For branding projects, this step may be revisited multiple times.
- Upon feedback on the initial sketches, Old Hat will provide variations as needed, or other options if you are not satisfied with the direction of any sketches.
- Once a sketch or sketches have been approved to move forward, Old Hat will digitize the sketch(es).
- Old Hat will continue refining the digitized versions until a final logo has been approved.
5. Production of Deliverables
Objective: To get the approved project prepared for final delivery.
- The amount of work during this step will be dependent on the scope of the branding project.
- Old Hat will provide eps, jpg and other file types as needed, along with a style guide for larger branding projects.
- Files for various applications will be provided as needed.
Objective: To get the final project files to the production company, or the client.
- Provide disc with style guide, all file types.
- Dependent on client preference for deliverables.