20 Questions with | Dave Kinard |
Since starting these 20 Questions posts we've had some quality go-to karaoke song answers, but we believe that Abilene Christian University's Dave Kinard would really put on quite a show. Seriously, who picks David Allen Coe's "You Never Even Call Me By My Name"? A seasoned karaoke man, that's who. It's all about crowd involvement, folks.
Do we primarily work with seasoned karaoke-rers? No. Maybe? Well, I know we really enjoy working with them! And that's likely one of the reasons why we work so well with Dave! Also, he has an incredibly adorable baby. So, karaoke and cute babies. Those are the secret Old Hat ingredients.
Old Hat has a partnered with ACU since 2013 and with Dave the last two years. Hannah says Dave brings a lot of energy to each new project and if you know Hannah that's really saying something.
Below is one of our latest projects with the fine people at ACU.
It's only a four-hour drive to Abilene and they've got that 72oz steak challenge at The Big Texan. We'll see you soon, Dave!
1. NAME: Dave Kinard
2. OCCUPATION/TITLE: Senior Associate Director of Athletics
3. HOMETOWN: Tulare, CA
4. PREGAME RITUAL: It’s a long day, so I start it off with some hype songs in the truck on the way with a Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew in hand.
5. FAVORITE THING TO SNACK: See previous answer…
6. FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOUR JOB: It’s fun! We get paid to go to games people pay to go to. More importantly, we get to have an impact on the people and students around us while we do it.
7. LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOUR JOB: Meetings about solving an issue that shouldn’t have happened in the first place.
8. HIDDEN TALENTS/HOBBIES: My wife and I love live music and always are up for anything from a concert or listening to a guitar player around a campfire. I have also been called a “human jukebox,” being able to name an artist and know lyrics to just about anything on the radio.
9. ADVICE TO YOUR YOUNGER SELF: Enjoy the process and invest yourself in the people, not the results.
10. YOUR GO-TO KARAOKE SONG: Have to get crowd involvement so I go with “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi, or from my Kentucky days “You Never Even Called Me By My Name” by David Allen Coe.
11. FAVORITE MOVIE: This is hard, don’t know if I can just pick one… Top Gun, Airplane, Old School… pretty much anything you can hear me quoting from throughout the day.
12. FAVORITE TV SHOW: If I can’t say Sports Center, I will go with Fixer Upper.
13. IF YOU WERE IN A BOY BAND WHAT WOULD IT BE CALLED: Why are you laughing at us?
14. FAVORITE PLACE TO EAT: Firestone Grill, San Luis Obispo, CA
15. WHAT DO YOU ORDER THERE: Tri-tip Steak Sandwich with fries
16. FAVORITE DISNEY PRINCESS: Have to go with the original, Snow White.
17. WHAT’S YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL: My nickname in little league was Gorilla, so there is probably some truth to that. Big and bad on the outside, but a kid at heart on the inside.
18. WHAT’S THE STUPIDEST THING YOU’VE EVER DONE: I found out that my zipper was unzipped during a job interview (wardrobe malfunction). Needless to say, I didn’t get that job. Checking for any malfunctions has since been part of my routine prior to any interview.
19. WHAT’S THE LAST SHOW THAT YOU BINGE-WATCHED: How I Met Your Mother
20. IF YOU WEREN’T DOING THIS JOB WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING: Many would probably say Pediatrician, since it was my 4th grade dream, but I think I would be best as an A&R Director for a music label.